GATSBY paid a high price for living too long with a single dream
- life with Daisy
- implies that Gatsby has never had any other experience or like with other girls
GATSBY shivered as he found what a grotesque thing a rose is
- link (via the flower) to Daisy
- a rose has thorns that can prick and hurt you but when you first look at it, all you see is the beauty and perfection.
- Daisy is the same. Gatsby sees her beauty and perfection and only at the last moment, realises that she is damaging/ dangerous. she is not what she seems
a new world, material without being real, where poor ghosts, breathing dreams like air, drift fortuitously about..
- Gatsby creates this
- he creates a new persona at 17
- his life is there but its also not. He became jay Gatsby and created a life, home etc. that goes wth it but it was never real. it was an illusion
- he was never truely living so he was always a ghost in the real world